Why is learning data structures important?
Well, behind every successful program there are two important building blocks: algorithms and data structures.
Without a good understanding of both, it becomes hard to choose the best data structures and algorithms for your programs. The result is software that’s either slow in terms of performance or too expensive to run because it takes up a lot of resources.
So what’s the secret to selecting algorithms and data structures? It’s simple. To build software with optimal resource requirements and excellent performance, the best data structures courses online are essential.
These courses will make you an efficient programmer, in addition to preparing you for data science interviews, which commonly contain questions about algorithms.
In this article, we’ll discuss the best data structures and algorithms courses online in 2021, so you can always build software that’s up to the mark.
Let’s get started.
Are you finding coding interviews challenging?
Then this is the course to get you interview-ready in no time. You’ll get to:
- Implement over ten data structures from the ground up, giving you lots of opportunities to practice, which makes this one of the best data structures courses on Udemy.
- Learn dozens of the most popular algorithms, 6 of them being sorting algorithms commonly tested in interviews. Additionally, you get many other tips & tricks for acing technical interviews.
- Practice with full walkthrough videos for the solutions, including the solution file as well. So this is the best algorithms course online for easy-to-follow, problem-solving exercises.
Unfortunately, support isn’t as timely and forthcoming as would be ideal, because of instructor unavailability. However, the question thread is packed full of popular Q&As so it might be of use if you hit a roadblock.
Princeton University offers this data structures training that’ll make you a better Java programmer.
Some course highlights include:
- Uncovering two popular types of data structures, namely stacks and queues. This will help you understand how navigational features like undo buttons work in text editors, browsers, and other applications.
- Learning about the k-d tree, and other algorithms which are important if you’d be interested in learning computer science. Moreover, you’ll understand how to speed up computer hardware with efficient algorithms.
- Dynamic presentations and visualizations, which make it easy to understand how algorithms process data. This is therefore the best data structures course on Coursera for effective learning.
Being an intermediate-level course, you may need to bring some Java knowledge into this data structures training. However, there are tons of relearning challenges and opportunities, so if you feel a little rusty, you can still comfortably take this data structures course.
If you’d like to code in Java to implement algorithms and data structures, then this may be the best data structures course on LinkedIn Learning for you.
Highlights of this data structures tutorial entail:
- An excellent dissection of arrays, an important data structure that will also help you learn Python programming. Consequently, this is one of the best algorithms courses online to give you a footing in other languages as well.
- Basic sorting algorithms, such as a bubble sort algorithm and how it helps arrange adjacent elements according to a certain order.
- Learning how recursion works, and how you apply the concept to solve big problems by breaking them down into smaller sub-problems.
You may run into a few problems when playing some of the videos. However, you may need to switch your browser in this course to one supported by LinkedIn Learning, namely, Firefox, Chrome, or Microsoft Edge.
If you’re an intermediate data structures learner looking for the next step up, this course may provide the challenge you’re looking for.
Some course benefits include:
- As opposed to merely using formulas, the practical examples focus a lot more on intuition. So as far as creative learning is concerned, this is one of the best data structures courses on PluralSight.
- Complexity analysis tips so you can identify a program that’s likely to perform poorly before even executing it.
- Lessons on efficient data organization within data structures such as linked lists and hash tables, among others.
With more emphasis on creative practice challenges, it may not be suitable for beginners seeking a theoretical foundation. Even so, it is the best data structures course online if you have the necessary knowledge and want to quickly build data structures from the ground up.
C++ remains an excellent option for learning data structures and algorithms as it is a low-level language, and consequently well suited for environments with constrained CPU resources.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Use C and C++ to implement data structures and algorithms, with this language offering excellent speeds.
- Leverage the power of recursive algorithms to get a head start when solving various problems.
- Get tons of opportunities to practice, not to mention an excellent and detailed teaching approach, making it one of the best data structures courses online.
Because you’ll implement data structures in both C and C++, the course may feel like a lot of work. However, it remains the best data structures course on Udemy because you learn two languages in one tutorial. Moreover, once you get a good grasp of C it’s easy to progress into C++.
The cryptocurrency revolution is in high gear today. If you’d like to not get left behind, this is an excellent data structures course to help you get on the bandwagon.
Course highlights include:
- A technical breakdown of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies from a data-driven perspective, thereby enabling you to make informed decisions on crypto markets.
- Learning about cryptographic building blocks and how you too can create your own simple and secure cryptocurrencies.
- Import storage services for Bitcoins, and how to transact and trade securely. As a result, this is among the best data structures courses on Coursera for learning about cryptocurrency security.
Unfortunately, this course doesn’t offer a certificate of completion if you’re keen to add this to your portfolio. However, it provides many technical concepts not just applicable for cryptocurrency markets but other data analytics projects as well.
With a little Python expertise, this is the data structures tutorial to understand how to build better software.
Some course highlights entail:
- A dissection of the A* search algorithm for simple data retrieval, including learning how to not only code but also use the best data science tools like PyCharm for data visualization.
- Multiple help channels to seek aid if you run into trouble with your code. This makes it the best algorithms course online for support.
- Practical application of pathfinding algorithms in a maze game to give you the hands-on knowledge to build a model with similar functionalities.
Unfortunately, this is not a beginner-friendly data structures course as you’ll need to bring in knowledge of how to run Python scripts. However, it’s only a little basic knowledge, so it’s one of the best data structures courses on LinkedIn Learning, as the instructor teaches object-oriented programming from the ground up.
Are you familiar with basic C programming?
Then you’ll fit right into this data structures online class, which strategically balances theory and practice.
You’ll learn about:
- Using the Big O notation and asymptotic runtime complexity to compare the performance of algorithms. So this is the best data structures course on PluralSight for efficient software development.
- Performing Linear searches in C++, then move up progressively to improve your search with more advanced techniques like binary search.
- Implementing stacks and dealing with common errors like stack overflow and even protecting your code from it.
The instructor’s accent may be hard to follow sometimes, but the audio quality is generally quite decent and you can fall back on transcripts when stuck. As a result, it remains one of the best algorithms courses online as far as C++ programming goes.
This Python for data structures course is perfect for professional development, and helps you in this regard in the following ways:
- Strategic mock interviews on data structures and algorithms, complete with non-technical questions as well. This is therefore the best data structures course online to get interview practice.
- Tips on creating appealing GitHub and LinkedIn profiles, including how to create a great resume, so you can impress your recruiters and increase your chances of getting a developer job without experience.
- Important overview on all the major data structures and tools such as Jupyter Notebooks, to keep those job-vital skills at the fingertips.
As a prerequisite, this course requires basic to intermediate Python skills. It remains one of the best data structures courses on Udemy for aspiring data scientists, because you get beginner-friendly information on preparing for interviews and creating incredible CVs.
Stanford University offers this data structures tutorial to get you ready to build reliable software.
The course covers:
- Randomized algorithms, which are a lot simpler to design than deterministic algorithms, for example. Moreover, randomized algorithms also offer better performance in terms of speed.
- A review of mathematical concepts you’ll need to understand algorithms better, making it the best data structures course on Coursera if your math needs a little brushing up. For more in-depth math refreshers, these best statistics courses online also provide great options.
- How to analyze divide and conquer algorithms to solve conceptually complex problems with ease.
This course leans a lot more on theory, but it does have its fair share of practical work. So it remains one of the best algorithms courses online if you’d like to understand why and how algorithms work the way that they do.
For an important foundation on cross-language data structures, this is the data structures tutorials to try out.
Some highlights of this data structures training include:
- A simple approach to learning data structures, which progressively increases in complexity as your knowledge grows. You’ll start with simple structures then move to more complex structures like trees and graphs.
- Because every lesson is emphasized by a practical example drawn from the real world, this is an excellent option for applied learning.
- A generalized approach to learning data structures, which makes this the best data structures course on LinkedIn Learning for a multi-programming approach.
There’s a typographical error in the Chapter 4 quiz on associative arrays and question 8, in particular, that you might need to watch out for. The matter has however already been addressed in the forum.
Do you have any coding experience?
If not, you may want to check out the best TreeHouse courses for developers to hit the ground running with this course.
This data structures tutorial covers:
- Using Java programming to build five data structures from scratch, this becomes the best algorithms course online if you’d like to learn beyond pre-built data structures.
- How to choose between queues, hashes, and trees, among other data structures, according to problem-suitability and performance costs.
- Many coding demonstrations via Spring Tool Suite editor, making this one of the best data structures courses on PluralSight for Java practice.
While most of the demonstrations are in Java, it’s fair to note that you can apply the bulk of these concepts in any language. So with a little background in any programming language, you should be comfortable taking this data structures training.
If you need help preparing for a software engineer interview or some other technical interview involving data structures and algorithms, this is the tutorial to give you insider tips.
Some benefits of this course include:
- Cheat sheets on questions commonly asked in technical interviews by top companies such as Amazon, Apple, and Google. Consequently, this is one of the best data structures courses online to prepare you for job interviews.
- Important points on solving optimization problems through dynamic programming.
- A different, enthusiastic and refreshing approach to coding, making this the best data structures course on Udemy for writing code that runs faster and uses less memory.
The instructor’s accent may be a little hard to understand for some learners. The great thing is that the subtitles can always help iron out any problems you may face as a result.
Would you like to protect data in computer systems?
Then this is the data structures training you need to stay ahead of the top cyber security trends in 2021.
By taking this course you’ll learn about:
- How hash chains work, in addition to ensuring message integrity via message authentication codes to prevent non-secret data modification.
- Ciphers and how to protect data through encryption using the concept of pseudorandomness. As a result, it is one of the best data structures courses on Coursera if you are into data security.
- Popular hacker techniques, the history of cryptography, and the best practices you can adopt to keep computer systems safe.
This course discusses a lot more mathematical concepts than you would expect of a typical cryptography class, so you may need to brush up on your math. However, it is the best data structures course online because it derives its examples from the real world and goes into excellent detail.
Evaluating the performance of algorithms is an important aspect of programming and building software.
This data structures tutorial will teach you this skill, and offers the following benefits:
- With over 20 chapter questions modeled from a real-world perspective, this is one of the best data structures courses on LinkedIn Learning for practice.
- Lessons on how to use Visual Studio Code to write and debug your code with its powerful extensions and plugins. As a result, you’ll be able to implement high-performing algorithms.
- While it is taught in Python, the algorithms covered are not specific to the language. So it’s one of the best data structures courses online for all programming backgrounds.
Being the second part of the Programming foundations series, this course assumes basic programming knowledge. The good news is that it universally covers algorithms, regardless of your specific language expertise.
So what data structures course would be ideal for you?
While any one of the best data structures and algorithms courses online in 2021 would be highly beneficial, your choice may depend on prevailing needs.
It features real-life interview questions but also goes beyond subject matter technicalities to discuss other important factors as well.
Conversely, if you want to accelerate your computer science studies, the Algorithms, Part I training by Princeton University is an excellent option.
It will get you acquainted with common algorithms covered in such programs, and the test challenges to expect.